Wednesday, December 8, 2010

First Blog

Let me introduce myself. My name is Consuelo I am a military wife and mother of three wonderful children. I adore my Husband and kids. I wanted to start this blog mostly for my sanity and to bring awareness to a growing problem. My oldest son Andrew is five. He was recently diagnosed with Autism (high functioning). We are still navigating through literature, doctors appointments and therapies. Some days I feel isolated and alone and other days I feel motivated...like I could take on the world. I feel it is necessary to share my story to help other mothers, parents and military wives deal with Autism and how it affects family and life in general. I look forward to hearing from other families of children with autism.

My son Andrew has always had issues with his speech. The extreme sensory issues are probably what really made me finally press furthur in his diagnosis. For the most part he is like any other five year old. In fact we had actually had him screened for Autism twice before his diagnosis. It has been a long and hard road for both my Husband and I. We have accepted our son'd diagnosis and we love him regardless of the labels that are put on him. I have realized through his diagnosis that Autism is on the rise. It is a continuing problem. I feel that I need to be son's advocate. It is through him that I am learning to see the world differently. He continues to amaze both me and my Husband on a daily basis. Suddenly, things are becoming clear to me. What really matters are the little things. I have already journeyed far through my own service in the military to becoming a military wife and now a parent of a child with Autism. I am turning my anger and frustration with the ignorance of other people into education. I wish to inform and help other people understand what Autism is. Through this blog I hope that I can gain a better understanding as well.

Thanks to my family and friends for their wonderful support and unconditional love.  

4 comments:

  1. Consuelo, this is one of the best things you can do for Andrew - be an advocate. There are lives that you will touch and that will touch you through this blog. We love you all,
    Andrew's Lola and Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so too. I feel better already. I feel like I am putting my foot down. Plus it would be nice to hear of any other moms, parents, granparents and people who have experience with the same thing. You guys rock. I love you! At least I can be thankful for support and acceptance of andrew for who he is no matter what. That makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very proud of you doing this. Andrew really is such a sweet kid. I look forward to reading your blog.

    Consuelo's Wubby ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Wubby. I am doing this for him as much as I am doing it for me...if not more so for him.

    ReplyDelete